Saturday 24 August 2013

AWESOME AVOCADO SALAD!



Summer is my favourite season for a lot of reasons: beautiful weather, a chance to break out my mini-dresses, reading outside on the grass, and avocadoes.  My parents planted two gigantic avocado trees-one inside the yard, the other just outside our gate.  We don't even have to climb up to get them- we just wake up in the morning, grab a dish, and pick avocadoes off the floor. There's even avocado mush in the driveway coz we always run over them.  Long story short, there are a LOT of avocadoes at our house.  And I love putting them in a really tasty salad:)


INGREDIENTS:


I large avocado
1 large tomato(I used two, but my family said it was tomato overload, so I dialed it down to one)
Feta cheese for an added kick
1/2 onion
Oil (for best results, use olive oil, but ordinary vegetable oil works fine too)
Black pepper
Lemon juice
White vinegar
Salt



HOW TO MAKE IT:


1. Slice the onion really fine(large chunks of onion will be off-putting).  Boil some water, and soak the onions in the water for 5-10 minutes.  This will get rid of most of the sharp, oniony taste.
2. MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE: Mix 2 tablespoons of oil with 1 tablespoon vinegar and 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice.  Add in a pinch of salt, and about a teaspoon of black pepper.
3. Wash and cut the tomatoes into thick chunks-I usually cut the tomato in half, cut the halves into halves, and slice them lengthwise.
4. Peel and chop up the avocadoes into chunks as well.
5.  In a salad bowl, add the avocadoes and tomatoes.  
6.  Drain the onions and add into the salad bowl.
7. Crumble the feta and sprinkle it on top of the salad.
8.  Finally, add the vinaigrette, and done!




For a family that isn't adventurous when it comes to food, my family actually liked this salad, even the inclusion of the onion.  Try it out-I'm sure you'll enjoy it:)



No comments:

Post a Comment