Tuesday 8 October 2013

OATMEAL AND RAISIN COOKIES, WITH A ZIMBABWEAN TWIST!


Question-it's a hot summer's afternoon, you have a surplus of oats and raisins, what to do?  I'd been wanting to bake oatmeal and raisin cookies for a loooong time (grandma cookies, my sister calls them), so I finally had the chance to today.  With my mother trying to be more health conscious, I found that I had to alter the recipe that I'd found for them.  Alas, without any wholewheat flour, I improvised with what I had-mealie meal(hence the Zimbabwean twist:).   The result?  A tasty, chewy cookie that we didn't feel guilty about eating!`



INGREDIENTS:


1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup mealie meal
1/2 cup raisins
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon mixed spice(optional)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk*
A pinch of salt


EQUIPMENT:


2 large bowls
Whisk
Measuring cup
Spoons-teaspoons and tablespoons( you're gonna need a lot!)
Spatula
Baking sheet
Ice cream scoop(optional)


HOW TO MAKE IT:


1.  Mix together the flour, mealie meal, baking powder and salt.  Stir in the mixed spice.
2. Beat the egg until fluffy.  Melt the coconut oil in the microwave, then add in the honey, sugar and vanilla.
3.  Add the egg mixture into the flour mixture and combine well.
*If your dough is a little too stiff, you can add the tablespoon of milk.
4.  Preheat your oven to 190 degrees Celsius.  Grease a baking sheet, or line it with greaseproof paper.
5. Using your ice cream scoop(or tablespoon), scoop out the mixture and place it on the baking tray, about an inch apart.
6.  Place it in the oven, and let them bake for 10-15 minutes until the cookies are golden brown.
7.  Let them cool in the baking tray for about 5 minutes, then put them on a wire rack to finish cooling.
8. Eat!






SIDENOTES:


-non-stick spray also works very well in greasing the baking pan.
-I usually start preheating the oven only when I'm done mixing the dough: the oven will be hot enough by the time I put the mixture in the oven, and I get to save some electricity in the process.
-to avoid my baking pans from rusting, I wash them as soon as they come out of the oven, and pop them back into the oven so that they completely dry out.




No comments:

Post a Comment